Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dialogue in the Dark





There's a guided tour in lower Manhattan that allows you to experience what it's like to navigate a bustling metropolis like New York City without the sense of sight. Husband and I took the 45 minute tour this weekend. Equipped with a cane each "tourist" was led by a visually challenged guide in complete darkness through various simulated situations. Now I'm already extremely nearsighted so just the thought of crossing over into complete darkness really frightens me. More on fear in a minute.

One of the simulations involves Central Park and its specific nuances. The sounds of cyclists ringing bike bells, birds chirping and my favorite, walking over a wobbly covered bridge and hearing the sounds of a nearby fountain. We were led by the voice of our guide while being urged to rely on our remaining senses. I felt so vulnerable and awkward.  The sighted take so much for granted. It is amazing the ease in which blind individuals move through life.

The last part of the experience proved to be the most nerve racking for me. It involved riding within a moving subway car with all the smells that go with that underground experience. I kept calmly calling out for Husband, poking him with my cane, or reaching out in search of him. Without giving away too many details I will say that the presence of fear of the unknown become a huge obstacle for me in that short time.

We have a friend who is blind. He also skis, runs a newsstand, has a thriving music career and spends time bowling. He shared with us that a blind person can do whatever anyone else can do. Those who cannot see are only held back by fear. With time and eduction they can learn to do anything that a sighted person can do.  All they need is courage. We can all use more courage to subdue our fears.

It's called Dialogue in the Dark.  Check it out.   http://www.dialogue-in-the-dark.com/



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home